Minnesota State University Moorhead “Dragon Week of Thanks”
Moorhead, MN—The Minnesota State University Moorhead Alumni Foundation will be hosting their first “Dragon Week of Thanks” on April 28th through May 2nd. Throughout the week there will be visual opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to see how donations have impacted students and their education at MSU Moorhead.
Across campus, there will be information posted in departments, on buildings, and in common areas to emphasize how donations enhance the student experience. More than 500 current students who received donor-funded scholarships have also been given backpack tags to recognize the individual impact of gifts on their education.
Donations to the Alumni Foundation support students by funding scholarships, awards, academic competitions, travel to conferences, and student research. Donations also assist faculty by funding research and professional development.
Students are encourage to express their gratitude to donors by writing a personal message to donors using postcards, which will then be sent to alumni, faculty, staff, businesses, parents, and friends who have made gifts recently. On Wednesday, individuals can also record a video message to donors. The Alumni Foundation will be setup on the campus mall from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm to record messages and have students sign a large thank-you banner.
The MSUM Alumni Foundation secures, receives, manages, administers, and disburses funds for MSUM. It is a non-profit organization that creates fundraising campaigns and hosts several events on and off campus, throughout each year.
- Last year, the Alumni Foundation provided $598,240 in scholarships and $323,190 in academic program support. That’s almost $1 million to help MSUM students!
- This year, 526 MSUM students received an academic or athletic scholarship that was funded by donations.
- Donations to the Alumni Foundation fund student research, guest speakers, student attendance at conferences, equipment purchases, academic competitions, scholarships, and much more.
- Last year (2012-13), 165 corporations, businesses, and organizations supported MSUM with gifts totaling $635,084.
- Last year (2012-13), 3,319 alumni made a gift to the MSUM Alumni Foundation.
- Over the last 16 years, more than 10,000 MSUM students have received scholarships funded by donors.
- The Alumni Foundation had an endowment of almost $13 million, as of June 30, 2013.
- So far this fiscal year, the Alumni Foundation has received more than $2 million in new gifts and pledges.
- Gifts to the Psychology Department funded 28 students attending the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) and Minnesota Association of School Psychologists (MSPA) conferences in 2013.
- Donations have supported the Capstone presentations for Construction Management students.
- Donors support students in the Biosciences Department who present research at national conferences.
- More than $200,000 has been donated to support the Straw Hat Players.